Beware the toxic algae that can kill your dog

0
849
Another woman reports that her beloved dog died after being exposed to toxic blue-green algae.

On Thursday, Tamra Massey from Boerne, Texas, wrote on Facebook that her dog Fina, a toy Australian Shepherd, died on July 31 after picking up some of the algae. Massey wrote that she took her dog with her to swim in a river near her house. She said that the water “was not infested by the algae,” nor did it look stagnant…. There were just a few pieces of the algae floating around.”

Massey told KENS5 that she could see that something was wrong, so she took her dog out of the water. And within an hour, Fina got sick and died.

“It was so fast,” said Massey. “Fifteen minutes she was out of the water, and there we noticed the first signs, probably 25 minutes in total, until we came to the vet, and she was almost gone.

According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, blue-green algae or cyanobacteria flowers are naturally present in lakes, ponds and canals. These flowers can be harmful to both animals and humans. In her Facebook post, for example, Massey noticed that she got a rash on her arm carrying her dog out of the water.

Look: Miracle Puppy Found Alive Under A Bridge With His Mouth Taped Shut

Murl Bailey, professor at Texas A&M School of Veterinary Medicine, told KENS5 that when a dog ingests the algae, “there will be cramps, quick wheezing, and then, in a few seconds, there will be wheezing, and then there isn’t much you can do with them.”

Look: Miracle Puppy Found Alive Under A Bridge With His Mouth Taped Shut

Open next page to see more

Prev

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here